Bethel Outing Club is excited to host the 2017 Bill Koch Festival to take place in Bethel, Maine March 3-5th, 2017!
SUNDAY SHUTTLE UPDATE: It was apparent Saturday that very few participants used our remote parking lots. On Sunday we have the added parking lot at the Bethel Family Health Center (32 Railroad Street), which is easy walking distance to the Gould Field House. We are going to remove the Parking Lots at Telstar High School and Crescent Park Elementary School from the Shuttle Route for Sunday, March 5th. By shortening the shuttle loop, we hope to alleviate some of the problems with the shuttle today. Thank you for your patience, Wade Kavanaugh, Festival Chair. View the new shuttle loop HERE.
The February 28 Catch-All Letter still has lots of good information, but make sure to read the later Important Changes to Festival Venue and Schedule–both News post have Important Details. During the Festival, the latest information will likely appear on our Facebook page (see sidebar to right) rather than the website.
Festival Theme: “Protect Our Winters.” Understanding the connection between the sport we love and the global environment.
Event Venue: Gould Academy, Bethel, Maine. The primary event area is on the Gould campus with trails winding over the meadows and forest adjacent to the sports fields, and a mini-marathon course leading from the campus to Gould’s Pine Hill Competition venue, where all competitive events are now being held due to forecast cold and wind.
Schedule: We have a full weekend planned for skiers and their families. You can view our schedule of events here, which which reflects changes made on 3/3/17 in race times and locations.
Parking and Shuttle Buses: There will be a drop off area directly in front of the Gould Field House. There will now be TWO shuttles for the entirety of the weekend (Shuttle Maps):
- The FIRST shuttle will circulate as scheduled between Parking Areas. It will bring participants to the Field House. The Field House will be the center of all of the Adventure activities including: a community Mural, broomball games, sledding hill, terrain park, Fat bike demos, sit-ski demos, an obstacle course, a food truck and we’ll also have coverage of the World Championships projected for everyone to watch. The FIRST shuttle will run continuously 8am-8pm on Saturday and 8:00am – 4:00pm on Sunday, completing the following circuit:
- Telstar High School (284 Walker Mills Road) SATURDAY ONLY!
- The Gem Theater (23 Cross Street)
- Gould Academy Field House (RACE VENUE – 39 Church Street)
- The Bethel Inn Resort (21 Broad Street) (Parking for guests only).
- Crescent Park School (19 Crescent Street) SATURDAY ONLY!
- There will be a SECOND shuttle (look for the yellow school bus) that will transport participants from the Field House to Pine Hill. This shuttle will be timed to get participants to the venue for their event start time. The shuttle will start at 10:30 and run until all participants are back at the Field House. Please note, you can also ski back from the race venue to the Field House. This is a 15 minute round trip including loading and unloading.
On Sunday, please do NOT park on Church street in the morning.
People can also ride the Mountain Explorer, a free shuttle service from the Bethel Inn to Sunday River through town. Find more info here: http://mountainexplorer.org
Registration is available through www.skireg.com. For additional details, visit our Registration page.
Other skiing options: For those who want to ski outside the competition, the Bethel Village Trails center, based out of the Bethel Inn, integrates the event venues at Gould with the adjacent trail system at the Inn. Find out here how you can access these trails and support BVT in the process.